Requirements to build compatible dlls

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Hi,

What are the minimum MS visual studio requirements to build the dlls?

Cheers
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Hi,

There is no requirement regarding visual studio as such. It can load valid .NET dlls, compiled by whatever tool you use. One caveat is that the dlls directly loaded may need to be targetting .NET 4.0; I am not sure anymore whether loading dlls targetting older frameworks directly works. On the other hand, I think I could once load a .NET 4 dll that had dependencies on older .NET framework dlls, and the side by side execution just worked.
Aug 27, 2014 at 1:28 AM
Thanks a lot, J-M.

I am using MS VS2010 with .Net Framework 4 to build your DataConversionSample and also using x64 active solution platform.
For rClr, I am using x64 R3.1.0 and rClr 0.5-2 (beta 5).

However, when i run the following code, I do not see any of the functions available in DataConversionSample.
library(rClr)
Loading the dynamic library for Microsoft .NET runtime...
Loaded Common Language Runtime version 4.0.30319.17929

clrLoadAssembly("C:/source/AdyneBatch/R.NetPricers/Pricers/DataConversionSample/bin/x64/Debug/DataConversionSample.dll")
clrGetLoadedAssemblies()
[1] "mscorlib" "ClrFacade" "System.Core" "System" "DataConversionSample"
clrGetTypesInAssembly('DataConversionSample')
[1] "rClr.Samples.DataConversionSample"
obj <- clrNew("rClr.Samples.DataConversionSample,DataConversionSample")
clrReflect(obj)
$Methods
[1] "Equals" "GetHashCode" "GetType" "ToString"
$Fields
character(0)

$Properties
character(0)

rClr works with the existing System dlls and also ClrFacade. So that probably means that my dll build is not compatible with the rClr requirement.
I will try to dig around a bit more. May I ask what MS VS version and settings are you using to build your dlls?

Thanks.